Singapore’s insurance landscape is rapidly growing, and people have become more aware of the need for insurance covers.
However, things can still feel too technical and somewhat confusing. For example, what is the difference between personal accident insurance and a personal accident rider? It is easy to see why one would be confused by the two.
Put simply, personal accident insurance refers to the standard insurance cover package purchased for both cars and motorcycles.
What are the two insurance covers all about?
Personal accident insurance is designed to help the insurance holder and their family. It covers their medical expenses and offers financial support for any damage to their vehicle. This insurance package should pay out 100 percent of the insured sum if an accident leads to disability or death.
These policies are different based on the policy selected and depending on the insurance provider.
Personal accident insurance also handles damage caused by natural disasters. This includes the expenses that may result from hurricanes and floods.
This type of insurance is highly popular, as it caters to the security of the vehicle as well as the vehicle’s owner and driver.
It is very similar to personal accident insurance since it also pays for all the expenses of the insurance holder. This also includes those of his family in case an accident leads to disability.
It also supports the family financially if the accident leaves the victim unable to earn a living. Cases like this usually refer to accidents resulting in full or partial disability.
However, a Personal Accident rider is a more practical option especially if the insured has a higher possibility of being bedridden over death.
The main differences between Personal accident insurance:
- Health Coverage
- Both offer cover for death or permanent injury
- Personal Accident Rider insurance provides a payout when the insurance holder is in a condition where they are not able to earn.
- Timespan & Amount
- The insurance company reimburses the entire insured amount. This is in case the insured party dies or suffers a permanent injury in Personal Accident insurance
- As for Personal Accident Rider, the timespan and amount depend on the accident’s severity
- Vehicle Damage
- Personal Accident insurance only covers against damage to vehicle
- Personal Accident Rider also supports the insurance holder and family until full recovery
- The insurance holder and his family receive an amount that is enough to sustain their lifestyle until he/she can work again.
You as the insured have the option of choosing the insurance package that best suits you. This is based on which advantages you believe will most suit your needs.
Insurance companies usually try to offer the packages at a price that is affordable to the masses as far as the premium is concerned.
The goal is to make sure that customers have as much flexibility as possible when they need it the most.
*The advice offered in this column is intended for informational purposes only and not intended to replace or substitute for any professional, financial, legal, or other professional advice. If you have specific concerns or a situation in which you require professional help, you should consult with an appropriately trained and qualified adviser.